Friday, April 15, 2011




My last Siberian winter has been experienced. As the streets turn into a muddy mess, I realize how fast the two years of service passes by. There is no time to lose. I grasp at every professional opportunity that allows for travel. In the last week of March, I assisted three other volunteers at a 3 day teaching seminar at Semey (the city which the Russian government exiled Dostoevsky to). The military lyceum provided us four with a decked-out apartment. We felt more like expats than volunteers with two flat screen LCD TVs, washing machine, and shower. After these good times, I headed down to Almaty to assume my responsibilities as an education training assistant for the new Kaz-23 volunteers. Given my own place in a predominantly Turkish village, I am enjoying the busy schedule and assisting the fresh volunteers with their lessons and personal questions about volunteer service in Kazakhstan . Things come full circle sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment